Teachers must use the pre-Key Stage (KS) 1 and KS2 standards set by the Standards and Testing Agency (STA) to make statutory teacher assessment judgements:
- At the end of each Key Stage
- For pupils engaged in subject-specific study, who are working below the National Curriculum teacher assessment frameworks
For reading, writing and mathematics, the interim standards of attainment are:
- 4 standards in KS1, from 'standard 1' to 'standard 4'
- 6 standards in KS2, from 'standard 1' to 'standard 6'
It's good practice for schools to ensure that judgements made using the pre-Key Stage standards are, as far as possible, moderated internally and with other schools.
Pupils not yet engaged in subject-specific study
You must use the engagement model to assess pupils who are:
- Working below the level of the National Curriculum, and
- Not engaged in subject specific study
Read more in our other article and