What's an operating model?
An operating model is a way of setting out all the functions of your trust. Think of each of these functions as a ‘capability’. For example:
- Managing finances
- Supporting your workforce
- Managing your estates
- Driving school improvement
Within each capability sits a range of processes. So, if the capability is managing finances, this will include processes such as budget planning, reporting and cash and asset management.
Your operating model will help you to evaluate these capabilities and consider:
- What is it aiming to achieve?
- Does it sit at school level or trust level?
- What people, systems and processes do we need in order to deliver it?
- How is it managed and governed?
- How do we know if it’s working well?
In short, an operating model lets you see the sum of the parts of your trust and see how they're connected.
There are 2 tools you