Need-to-know: DfE publishes new Early Career Framework guidance
From 1 September 2021, the new induction programme for teachers will replace current NQT induction arrangements. Learn about the changes to your induction process for new teachers as you move to the new 2-year Early Career Framework.
What are the main changes?
- The term early career teacher (ECT) will replace newly qualified teacher (NQT)
- Induction for ECTs will last for 2 years (it's currently 1 year)
- ECTs will get a 5% timetable reduction in their second year of induction (they'll still get a 10% reduction in the first year, as they do now)
- Your school will be expected to deliver an induction programme that's underpinned by the Early Career Framework
- There's a new induction-linked role: induction mentors will support ECTs through induction (this is separate from the existing requirement to have an induction tutor)
- There will only be 2 formal assessment points - one midway through induction and one at the end (current arrangements require 3 formal assessments, usually one per term)
Read the full statutory guidance, and an overview of