Dealing with abusive visitors in schools: policies
Find examples of policies on dealing with abusive visitors from primary and secondary schools, and a special school.
What to include in your policy
- Examples of behaviour that you consider unacceptable or abusive. This includes on the premises, over the phone or by email
- How you will deal with this behaviour. For example:
- How staff will minimise a visitor's frustration
- The stages you will follow such as starting with a verbal warning
- What you will do following an incident, for example seeking medical attention for any injuries or contacting the police
- The steps that you will take when imposing a ban on someone from the school premises
Some policies also include appendices with template letters that the school will send or a template incident report form (see below).
Read more guidance about dealing with abusive or aggressive visitors, including template letters.
Sandgate Primary School in Kent has a policy on managing abusive parents. It includes a model incident report form on pages 9 to 10 St Mary’s Church of England Primary School in Slough has