Menopause policy: model, examples and guidance
Use our model policy to set out your school's commitment to supporting staff impacted by the menopause, including the reasonable adjustments you may need to make for them. See examples of other school policies, and advice on how to reduce stigma around the menopause in your school.
Download and adapt our model policy
Our policy template is:
- Designed for you to adapt to suit your school's context
- Approved by Forbes Solicitors
- Created in partnership with NAHT
We recommend that you consult with the unions represented at your school before implementing any new policy relating to staff.
Policies from other schools and the NEU
See these examples at the links below to help you with putting your policy together:
- Model menopause policy, from the national education union (NEU)
- Unity Schools Partnership, a multi-academy trust in Suffolk
- Pattishall C of E Primary School, a maintained primary school in Northamptonshire (scroll down to the 'Staff' section)
- Pittville School, a community secondary school in Cheltenham
Reduce stigma around the menopause in your school
You can make everyday changes to go alongside your policy to support your colleagues going through menopause. This will help you make your school a more inclusive place to work, and could support your retention of staff. For example: