How to develop a school policy
Use our step-by-step guide to developing a school policy and download our policy template with guidance on what to include.
We worked with Andrea Senior, one of our associate education experts, and Alexia Moyle, school business manager at Greenleas School in Central Bedfordshire, to write this article.
The purpose of a policy
Use a school policy to:
- Outline your approach in key areas of your work
- Provide details of how you apply your school's aims and vision on a daily basis through your approach
- Ensure consistency across your school
- Inform staff, volunteers, parents, inspectors and pupils about your approach
Make sure you need the policy
Download our list of statutory policies to find out which policies you must have.
For non-statutory policies, check you need them. Don't just update a policy because you have it already.
- What information do you need to convey?
- Do you cover this information in another policy?
- If not, can you add it in to another policy?