You are here:

Last reviewed on 4 October 2021
Ref: 39570
School types: All · School phases: All

The new RSE requirements are a sensitive subject and you might have to field objections even after the consultation period has ended. Learn about the most common ones and how to handle them.

Be clear on parents' right to withdraw 

Parents can't withdraw their child from relationships or health education. 

In primary schools, if you choose to teach sex education, you must allow parents to withdraw their child from part or all of it. 

In secondary schools, parents can withdraw their child from part or all of sex education, unless you feel there are 'exceptional circumstances'. They can do this up until 3 terms before the child turns 16. After that, it's the child's decision.

In both cases, if a pupil is withdrawn, it's your responsibility to make sure they receive appropriate, purposeful education during the withdrawal period.

See more about the RSE requirements for primary and secondary schools. 

Handle objections informally first

Send these letters to parents when they raise concerns or objections to your RSE curriculum. Adapt them to fit your school’s context and the nature of specific

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.