This article, unless specified otherwise, refers to the DfE's guidance on charging for school activities (pages 5 and 6).
You can charge for before and after-school clubs
You can charge for optional activities that take place outside of school hours, including before and after-school clubs and supervised homework sessions.
These are called 'optional extras', and you can charge a fee to cover the related costs of:
- Materials like books, instruments or sports equipment
- Staffing and supervision of activities
- Non-teaching staff involved in the activity
- Teaching staff on a contract to provide the activity, like supply teachers
- Teaching staff employed to give tuition in playing a musical instrument, or vocal tuition
- Provision of buildings and accommodation
You can't make a profit, subsidise costs or enforce participation
You also can't inflate the