You are here:

Last reviewed on 18 May 2021
Ref: 5500
School types: All · School phases: All

Check whether your out-of-school provision needs to be registered separately, and who is responsible for it. You'll also find out how extended services such as after-school and holiday clubs are taken into account during Ofsted inspections.

School-run clubs come under your school's Ofsted registration

You don't need to register out-of-school clubs separately with Ofsted if they're run directly by your school, as long as:

  • At least 1 child at the club is a pupil from your school
  • Your school provides education or care for children aged 2 years and over

It is for children aged from birth to under 2 years, where at least 1 child attends for more than 2 hours a day, or It is only for children who are not pupils at your school, such as a separate preschool, a nursery for children of staff members or a nursery in a children’s centre managed by your school’s governing body (it doesn't have to be on the school premises to be managed directly by your school’s governing body), or You admit children to your school register who are not yet 2

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.