You are here:

Last reviewed on 6 April 2021
Ref: 33175
School types: All · School phases: All

Some pupils with education, health and care (EHC) plans are entitled to 1:1 support from a teaching assistant (TA), with that time classed as protected. Find out how to make the most effective use of TAs when using their time to support pupils with EHC plans.

Find out how much of your TA's time is protected

Look at the EHC plan in question – this will specify:

  • The outcomes your pupil is expected to achieve while on the plan
  • The provision your pupil will receive to help them meet those outcomes

EHC plan direction   TA time allocation A TA is named as 1:1 support The TA must work 1:1 with the pupil to support their special educational needs (SEN) and/or disability needs A TA is named but 1:1 support is not specified The TA can provide support in a group setting 1:1 hours are specified but a TA is not named Any TA can work with the pupil as long as the teacher allocates support for the hours specified in the EHC plan No named support or directed hours The SENCO should allocate the

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.