Parental opposition to SEN provision

If parents are opposed to SEN provision for their child, take a look at this article for guidance on how to address their concerns.

Last reviewed on 8 June 2023
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 11285
  1. You must keep parents or carers informed
  2. Meet with concerned parents or carers
  3. Opposition to an EHC needs assessment
  4. Opposition to placement on your SEND register
  5. Refer continuous opposition to your LA

You must keep parents or carers informed

Once you've recognised that a pupil has special educational needs (SEN), their parents or carers must be formally informed that special educational provision is being made.

That's set out in paragraph 6.43 of the statutory SEND Code of Practice.

Get some advice on how to inform parents, and consider organising a meeting to discuss the child's SEN and how the school and family can best support the child's learning. 

You can also share our factsheet about SEN with parents or carers.

Meet with concerned parents or carers

Though you should try to meet with all parents or carers of a child with SEN, this is especially important if they resist accepting that their child has SEN.

If the parents or carers have a good relationship with the pupil’s class teacher or teaching assistant, invite them