Look for patterns and trends
Make sure you’re analysing any patterns in your data. For example:
- Are suspensions/exclusions increasing or decreasing?
- What's the proportion of repeat suspensions?
- National average: are the rates of suspensions/exclusions above or below?
- What behaviours result in suspensions and exclusions?
- Are some year groups or phases receiving more suspensions than others?
- Do some members of staff give a higher rate than others?
To find national averages for suspensions and exclusion, use the statistics from the DfE. Note that due to the date these are published, the latest national data will relate to an earlier academic year.
Check whether your exclusions policy is affecting certain pupil groups
Pupils with special educational needs (SEN) Children