You are here:

Last reviewed on 20 October 2021
Ref: 820
School types: All · School phases: All

Make sure you know how unqualified teachers should be paid in your school. Take a look at our overview of the pay range and allowances for unqualified teachers, and how to manage their pay progression.

Pay ranges are set out in the STPCD

The pay range for unqualified teachers is set out on page 23 of the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD). You should set pay for unqualified teachers within this range.

The STPCD applies to all unqualified teachers in maintained schools.

Academies are free to determine their own pay arrangements for unqualified teachers, although unqualified teachers whose employment transferred to an academy at the point of conversion will still be covered by the STPCD.


England (excluding London area)

Inner London area

Outer London area

Fringe area











Use the pro-rata principle to determine salaries for part-time unqualified teachers.

Additional allowances

To determine whether to pay such an allowance, consider

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.