Lesson observations and learning walks
- Learning walk: how to spot effective questioning Use our learning walk template to help you identify a key feature of high-quality teaching – effective questioning.
- Learning walks: how-to guide Plan and carry out a successful learning walk with our downloadable checklist and suggested areas of focus and activities by role. Use our questions to interrogate the evidence and come up with future actions.
- Learning walks: templates Use our downloadable template – which takes into account Ofsted inspection criteria – to carry out a learning walk. There are also templates that focus on specific areas: EYFS, SEN provision, the learning environment and behaviour.
- Lesson observation form based on the Ofsted framework Ofsted doesn't expect you to use its inspection criteria to grade lessons. However, if you want to refer to it when carrying out lesson observations, including for EYFS lessons, use our template forms.
- Lesson observations: how-to guide and templates Get to grips with how to carry out successful lesson observations. Use our lesson observation templates, 2 of which are based on Ofsted inspection criteria, our template feedback form for staff, and a spreadsheet to keep track of observations throughout the school year.
- Observing EYFS teaching: what to look for Be clear on what effective teaching looks like, and find examples of prompts to help you when carrying out lesson observations.
- Template for observing teaching assistants Use our template for observing teaching assistants (TAs) to help you maximise their impact in your school. It draws on the professional standards for TAs.