Lesson observations and learning walks 5 articles
- Your one-stop-shop to plan and carry out a successful learning walk, using our suggested focus areas, checklist and templates. Get to grips with how to successfully analyse your findings and plan future actions.
- Ofsted doesn't expect you to use its inspection criteria to grade lessons. However, if you want to refer to it when carrying out lesson observations, including for EYFS lessons, use our template forms.
- Get to grips with how to carry out successful lesson observations. Use our lesson observation templates, 2 of which are based on Ofsted inspection criteria, our template feedback form for staff, and a spreadsheet to keep track of observations throughout the school year.
Managing appraisal 8 articles
- Download our template forms for gathering 360-degree feedback for staff performance reviews, including for a headteacher, and save yourself time if you're making your own.
- See the key phases of the performance management cycle as suggested in the DfE's model policy for teacher appraisal. Plus, get advice on how to use the Teachers' Standards to set objectives and how to monitor and review teacher performance.
- Understand your legal responsibilities for performance managing teachers on maternity leave. Plus, get tips on how to schedule meetings and set appraisal targets for staff on maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave.
Performance objectives 20 articles
Professional standards 6 articles
- Download and adapt our set of career stage expectations for assistant and deputy headteachers, and a SENCO, based on the Teachers' Standards.
- Find out your requirements for assessing EYFS teachers, and read a summary of the early years' Teachers' Standards.
- Read our summary of the Headteachers' Standards 2020 and find out how you can use them.
Senior leadership appraisal 5 articles
- Prepare for your appraisal by familiarising yourself with the procedure, and use our guidance to help you write your objectives for the next appraisal period.For Trust Leaders
- Make sure you're prepared for your deputy headteacher's appraisal by considering objectives, development opportunities and professional standards.
- Use our guidance for leaders in multi-academy trusts (MATs) to help you manage the appraisal process for headteachers in your schools. Download our templates and checklist so you can be confident you've got everything covered.For Trust Leaders
Support staff appraisal 7 articles
- Read advice on performance management for your school's admin staff, including how to use professional standards and set objectives.
- Download an example appraisal form, and read guidance on setting performance objectives for caretakers and premises managers.
- Boost the productivity and effectiveness of your school office by examining your organisational techniques, procedures and use of software. Also find examples of staff training opportunities.
Teaching staff appraisal 1 article
Underperformance and capability 2 articles
- Be confident going into your meeting with an underperforming teacher. Read our walk-through of how the meeting will run and download our template capability action plan, so you can feel prepared as you begin this informal capability process.
- Read guidance and advice on requirements around sharing information about capability procedures. Find out what you have to disclose to governing bodies and future employers.