Set your own rules
There are no rules on:
- The number of lesson observations you can carry out in a year
- How long observations should last
- Who can carry out observations
- How much notice you need to give before an observation
- Whether ‘drop ins’ or learning walks should count as lesson observations
Create a policy and keep in mind union protocols
Set out your school’s approach to lesson observations in a policy – it could be its own observation policy, or part of your appraisal policy.
Unions have their own protocols, so bear those in mind.
You can find examples of these in:
- Our own model appraisal policy, which we developed in consultation with NAHT
- A model appraisal policy from the DfE
- A model observation protocol used by both the National Union of Teachers (NUT) and NASUWT
You’re also not required to grade individual lessons using the Ofsted