How to do internal recruitment
Read our step-by-step guide to recruiting members of staff already at your school for another role.
This article was written with two of our associate educational experts Helen Cooper and Tony Cook.
Follow our guide
1. Follow your recruitment policy
Make sure you're complying with any rules set out in your recruitment policy (if you have one).
Read our recruitment policies article for examples from a range of schools.
2. Advertise positions and share with all staff
If you're a maintained school, your governors need to advertise for headteacher and deputy headteacher posts.
Otherwise, you don't have to advertise for internal positions, but it's good practice to do so.
If you advertise:
- Make sure your advert includes a person specification and job description
- Include deadlines and interview dates
- Share with staff by placing your advert on a noticeboard in your staff room or send it out via email
- Make sure adverts are also shared with anyone on sick or parental leave