Admissions and roll

  • Admission appeals
    Parents and carers can appeal admission decisions. Be clear on how to handle appeals, get details on how the full appeals process works, and download our template appeal outcome letter.
  • Admission to reception: deferring entry
    Learn about parents' rights to delay when their child starts school and what's involved in the process for summer-born children.
  • Challenging the placement of a pupil with SEND: guidance and checklist
    There are times when you can't meet the needs of a pupil with an EHC plan. Be clear on your requirements and use our checklist to help you make the best possible case to your LA if you want to challenge a pupil's placement at your school.
  • Admissions above the PAN
    Read advice on admitting pupils above the published admission number (PAN), and the different ways maintained schools and academies can be directed to admit above the PAN.
  • Increasing the published admission number (PAN)
    Find out who's responsible for increasing your published admission number (PAN), and how to prepare if an increase is coming.
  • Reducing the published admission number (PAN)
    Admission authorities must consult when they propose to decrease a school's PAN. See information on timescales and who must be consulted. If you're a special school, find out how to change your agreed pupil number.
  • Dual registration of pupils
    Understand what having a dual registered pupil at your school means for you. Find out how to register them for exams and on your school census, and where to go for information about funding.
  • Removing a pupil from the school roll
    If you have to delete a pupil from your school's admission register, you want to be clear on the legalities. Understand the conditions under which you can remove a pupil and use our template to pass on the required information to your LA before you do.