You are here:
Interactive online calendar for school leaders
- 1 Overview of the KeyCal
- 2 Subscribing in Microsoft Outlook
- 3 Subscribing in Google Calendar
- 4 Subscribing on Apple devices
Overview of the KeyCal
Use our online calendar to be sure you don't miss events such as:
- Religious festivals
- National awareness days
- Trade union conferences
- Significant annual deadlines
View the KeyCal in a web browser by clicking on the link below. You can then bookmark the page in your internet favourites for easy access.
As well as viewing this calendar in your internet browser, you can also subscribe to it using Microsoft Outlook, Google Calendar and certain mobile devices. Below you'll find the steps to follow when subscribing to the calendar in different types of applications.
Please note that we cannot guarantee these steps will work for every computer and mobile phone.
If you're unable to subscribe to the calendar with your device or software, consult the product's guidance or contact the provider to ask for information on subscribing to an internet calendar.
Subscribing in Microsoft Outlook
To subscribe to the KeyCal in Microsoft Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016:
1. Click on 'File' in the top left-hand corner of your Outlook window
2. Click on 'Account settings' and when a dropdown menu appears, click 'Account settings'
3. A pop-up window will appear. Click on the 'Internet calendars' tab, and click 'New'
4. Another pop-up box will appear. Enter the following URL into the text field and click 'Add':
5. Rename the folder to 'KeyCal' and click 'OK'
6. The KeyCal will now appear beneath the heading 'Other calendars' in the calendars tab of your Outlook. The calendar will be updated each time you reopen Outlook, and will synchronise with any updates we have made to the calendar. There's no need to repeat these steps again.
Subscribing in Google Calendar
To sync the KeyCal to your Google Calendar:
1. Log in to Google Calendar (you will need a Google account)
2. Go to the 'Settings' menu
3. Go to the ‘Add calendar’ section on the left-hand side of the page and click the arrow to make a drop-down list appear. Click ‘From URL’
4. Copy and paste the following iCal link into the URL box and click 'Add calendar':
The calendar will then appear in the calendar list on the left-hand side of the window, below 'Other calendars'. Your calendar will be automatically updated when events are added to the KeyCal.
Android mobile phones and tablets
To see the KeyCal on your Android device, follow the steps outlined above for viewing the calendar in Google Calendar, using the Google account associated with your Android device.
If you don't have Google Calendar installed on your Android device, you'll need to download the app. Once you've done this, it'll automatically display the calendars which are available to your Google account.
Subscribing on Apple devices
The steps below relate to an iPhone using the iOS 9.3.5 operating system.
To subscribe to the KeyCal on your Apple iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:
1. Copy the following iCal link on your iPhone or iPad:
2. Go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘Mail, Contacts, Calendar’
3. On the next page, click ‘Add Account’
4. In the list of providers, select ‘Other’
5. On the following page, click ‘Add Subscribed Calendar’
6. On the subscription page enter the iCal link copied from above, and click 'Next'
7. Another page should appear, showing the KeyCal in the description field. Click 'Save'
The KeyCal will now appear in your personal calendar. Your calendar will be automatically updated when events are added to the KeyCal.
More from The Key
Covering topics including differentiation, assessment, SEND and growth mindset, CPD Toolkit has been created by subject experts and tested by teachers to guarantee practical, engaging training that's also excellent value for money.
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.