Positive handling policy: examples
See examples of positive handling policies from primary and secondary schools, as well as a special school and a MAT. Use these examples to help you write your school's policy.
Primary school policies
Maintained school in Wandsworth
St Mary's CE Primary School's positive handling policy includes:
- When physical intervention can be used
- Dos and don'ts when using positive handling
- Recording incidents
- Post-incident support
Maintained school in Oxford
St Edmund's Catholic Primary School explains in its policy:
- That only staff who have had Team Teach training will use positive handling techniques on children
- When and how physical restraint may be used
- How the school uses positive handling plans
The policy also includes a template positive handling plan.
Secondary school policy
Ryburn Valley High School’s policy on positive handling explains the rationale behind the policy and covers:
- Who may use physical intervention and when
- The location of 'intervention removal areas'
Special school policy
Herons Dale School's positive handling policy explains that the aim of positive handling is to maintain a safe environment for pupils and staff.
The policy covers:
It also explains that