Absence and attendance
Absence data and expectations 5 articles
- Attendance: national, LA and school data Compare your school's attendance data to others locally and nationally, using our summary of the data and templates. Learn how the data is collected and how to make your own data tables using the DfE website.
- Attendance: persistent and severe absence thresholds and statistics Pupils are persistent absentees if they miss 10% of sessions or more, and severe absentees if they miss 50%. Learn how to analyse your data, and see the national statistics.
- Attendance: the legal requirements Parents have a legal responsibility to send their child to school. Read on for guidance on authorised absence and learn what to do if pupils aren't attending.
Recording attendance 1 article
- Attendance register: requirements and guidance Be clear on the rules for registering pupil attendance and absence, so you can make sure your school is compliant. Find guidance on when to close the register, and see what approaches other schools take.
Strategies for managing attendance 10 articles
- Flexi-schooling: guidance Get to grips with flexi-school arrangements. Find out what to consider before agreeing to a request for one and what to include in an agreement with parents.
- How to improve sixth form attendance and behaviour Get expert advice to help you improve attendance and behaviour in the sixth form. Read a case study to find out how a sixth form improved standards of attendance and behaviour.
- How to talk to parents/carers about attendance Learn how to approach initial conversations about attendance with parents and carers, and who in your school might be best placed to have them. Take a look at our guidance for positive and constructive conversations.