Bullying incidents: reporting and recording

Understand your reporting and recording responsibilities when it comes to bullying, and see examples of forms to record incidents.

Last reviewed on 16 November 2023
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 2515
  1. When do I need to report bullying incidents?
  2. What about recording bullying incidents?
  3. See examples of bullying incident forms

When do I need to report bullying incidents?

Report bullying incidents to the relevant agency if:

  • You think the incident constitutes a child protection concern – this would be where there's "reasonable cause to suspect a child is suffering, or is likely to suffer, significant harm"
    • Report these to the local authority's (LA) children's social care team (and, if appropriate, the police)
  • The incident could be a criminal offence or pose a serious threat to a member of the public
    • Report these to the police

This applies to bullying incidents on or off the school premises. 

Make sure you let your designated safeguarding lead (DSL) know, but don't delay taking action if your DSL isn't available.

Check with your LA to see if it has any additional reporting requirements – for example, to

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.