Statutory guidance on the cost of school uniform
The DfE has published new statutory guidance on the cost of school uniform. Find out what this guidance means for your school and what you need to do to comply.
This article summarises the DfE's statutory guidance on the cost of school uniforms.
What you need to do, and when
You should comply with as much of the guidance as possible by September 2022.
This means that by the end of the summer term 2022, you need to:
- Review your uniform policy, and make changes where necessary (unless the exceptions set out below apply)
- Publish your uniform policy on your website
- Make sure second-hand uniforms are available
You have until summer term 2023 to comply with the guidance if:
- Changing your uniform would require you to breach a pre-existing contract or informal agreement with a uniform supplier
- You need to run a competitive tender process to set up a new contract
If you're tied into a long-term contract with a