Social media: how to deal with negative comments or behaviour by parents

Use our internet acceptable use agreement to help prevent inappropriate social media use by parents and to make your school's expectations clear. Get tips on how to deal with incidents and problems online, and download our template letters to parents.

Last reviewed on 25 October 2022
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 6226
  1. Download our internet acceptable use agreement for parents
  2. Use a parent code of conduct to set expectations
  3. Publicise your policies on complaints and behaviour
  4. Download our template letters to respond to incidents
  5. Headteachers can ban parents from the school site
  6. Taking legal action

Follow the steps below to set expectations for parents’ social media use, and make it clear how your school will respond to any incidents if they happen.

If an incident has already happened, see the second half of this article, starting with ‘Download our template letters to respond to incidents'.

Download our internet acceptable use agreement for parents

Our model agreement sets clear guidelines and expectations on how parents should use social media, or other communications forums, when they communicate with or about your school.

It covers parents' use of:

  • The school Facebook page
  • Personal social media accounts
  • Private groups or channels (such as class Facebook pages or WhatsApp groups)

You can't require parents to sign an acceptable use agreement, but making one available