What you must provide
Under the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD), eligible teachers are entitled to no less than 10% of their timetabled teaching time as guaranteed planning, preparation and assessment (PPA) time.
This time must:
- Be part of a teacher's directed time
- Be provided in units of at least 30 minutes during the school's timetabled teaching week
- Be used to carry out PPA – you can't require teachers to carry out any other duties during this time
This is explained on page 50, paragraph 52.5 of the STPCD, linked above.
The STPCD applies to:
- Teachers in maintained schools
- Teachers whose employment transferred to an academy at the point of conversion
Academy trusts can set their own pay and conditions for new staff, or renegotiate for existing staff.
Other than the rules above, it's up to you to decide when to schedule PPA time, and it doesn't have to be at the same time each