SEN allowances for teachers

Know the rules on awarding special educational needs (SEN) allowances, including who should get one and how much they should receive.

Last reviewed on 1 November 2023See updates
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 2973
  1. Who do these rules apply to?
  2. Who's entitled to an allowance? 
  3. How much do they get? 
  4. Staff can hold an SEN allowance alongside a TLR
  5. Can you withdraw an allowance? 

Who do these rules apply to?

The rules below are outlined in the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD). 

The STPCD applies to:

  • Teachers in maintained schools
  • Teachers whose employment transferred to an academy at the point of conversion

Academies can set their own pay and conditions for new staff, or renegotiate with existing staff.

Who's entitled to an allowance? 

Any SEN post that requires a mandatory SEN qualification (i.e. teachers of pupils with visual and/or hearing impairments) and involves teaching pupils with SEN A special school 1 or more designated special classes or units in a school Any non-designated setting (including any pupil referral unit) that is analogous to a designated special class or unit, where the post: Involves a substantial element of working directly with children with SEN; Requires the teacher’s professional skills and judgement in the teaching of children with SEN;

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.