Tips for writing performance objectives
Set objectives for your special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) that relate to:
- Your school's improvement plan (SIP)
- The SENCO's personal and/or professional development
You may also want to ask your SENCO to chose and set 1 of their own targets, based on their own aims for development.
See more detail about how to write performance objectives.
Use existing guidance to help you
Get ideas from official documents that explain the role and requirements of a SENCO, such as:
- The SEND code of practice (see pages 108 to 109 for a summary of the role of the SENCO in schools)
- The learning outcomes for the National Award for SENCOs
Example performance objectives
You can tailor these to your specific needs, such as:
- The key strategic aims of your school
- The needs of the pupils with SEN in your school
- Your SENCO's level of experience
To establish systems to support staff in making sure that pupils