Checks for agency staff

Understand which checks you must carry out on agency staff such as supply teachers. Find out whether you need to get DBS certificates and what to record on the SCR, and download a template form to record written confirmation of checks.

Last reviewed on 20 June 2023
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 33278
  1. What you must do
  2. How to complete the single central record
  3. Download our record form

What you must do

When employing someone via an agency, you must:

  • Get written confirmation from the agency that it has carried out the checks on the staff member that you would have done if you employed them directly (see our record form below for a list of these checks)
  • Make sure you receive written confirmation that an enhanced DBS check certificate has been obtained
  • Make sure the enhanced DBS certificate comes with barred list information, where the position requires it, and that this is done before any appointment is made

You should also check that the person presenting themselves for work is the same person on whom the checks were carried out. Do this by checking ID on arrival - take a look at the government's guidance on how to verify someone's identity.

When you should get a copy