What is a leading practitioner?
The School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD) defines a leading practitioner as a teacher who is in a post which has the primary purpose of modelling and leading improvement of teaching skills.
This is outlined on page 22 of the STPCD.
You determine their main responsibilities
The STPCD doesn't provide a list of specific responsibilities for leading practitioners.
It explains that leading practitioners:
- Have the same professional responsibilities and benefit from the same rights as all other teachers (excluding the headteacher)
- May have additional responsibilities in their job descriptions
This is explained on page 46 of the STPCD linked above.
Look at the DfE's recommended responsibilities
The DfE says the leading practitioner should:
- Exhibit exemplary teaching skills
- Lead the improvement of teaching skills in your school
- Carry out the professional responsibilities of a teacher