You are here:

Last reviewed on 26 March 2021
Ref: 6629
School types: All · School phases: All

Use our step-by-step guide to find out how to proceed if a parent hasn't paid fees for things like school meals or trips. Plus, download our template letters that you can send to remind, and issue warnings to, parents.

Set out your expectations in a policy 

Consider having a debt recovery policy in place so you have a clear procedure to follow when recovering debt from parents. If you're a maintained school or in an MAT, your LA or trust might provide their own policy for you to follow.

If they don't, they may still set rules on how to manage debts that you should reflect in your policy, so consult any financial scheme they have in place.

Always follow any recovery process set out in your policy, but if it doesn't go into detail about how to approach parents, read the sections below for more advice.

Contact the parents to reiterate these

This conversation should be friendly, and focus on how your school can help the parent pay

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.