You are here:

Last reviewed on 21 April 2021
Ref: 35317
School types: All · School phases: All

If you're using educational apps or other online services with pupils, such as assessment platforms or homework portals, make sure you stay compliant with data protection law. Work through these questions before setting up a new app or service to figure out your responsibilities, then check your next steps.

Would you be the data controller?

If pupils’ use of the service would require your school to process any personal data, you'd be the data controller.

This would apply if:

  • You need to collect and share personal data with the service provider (e.g. you'd give them the names of the pupils who will be using the service); and/or
  • You receive data back from the provider (e.g. you'd get scores from a test done on the service)

However, if your school wouldn't need to process personal data, you wouldn't be the data controller.

You're not processing data if:

My school is the controller You’re responsible for

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.