Child protection records: transfer guidance

Find out how to transfer safeguarding files securely, and what information you should include. We also look at communicating with other schools and parents.

Last reviewed on 14 June 2023See updates
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 8591
  1. Your requirements 
  2. Information you should pass on
  3. How to transfer files securely
  4. Don't transfer the file before a pupil leaves
  5. Parents can't prevent the transfer 
  6. Receiving school: what to do if records haven't been transferred

Your requirements 

When a pupil leaves your school, your designated safeguarding lead (DSL) should:

  • Make sure the pupil's child protection file is transferred to their new school or college as soon as possible (within 5 days for an in-year transfer or within first 5 days of the start of a new term)
  • Transfer it separately from the main pupil file (e.g. in separate envelopes) 
  • Transfer it securely and get proof of receipt (more on this below)

They should also consider whether your school should share any additional information with the new school/college before the pupil leaves, to help the new setting get ready to support the child and help them thrive.

This is set out in the statutory safeguarding guidance Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE) 2023 (see pages 32,

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.