You are here:

Last updated on 7 March 2018
Ref: 6794
School types: All · School phases: All

Under education law, parents and those with parental responsibility have the right to access information about their child. These are the key points you need to be aware of.

Article tools


  1. Parents' rights to information about their child
  2. Contents of the educational record
  3. Who counts as a parent?
  4. Charges
  5. Timescale for responding
  6. Withholding information

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.