Key Stage 1 and 2 assessments

Find answers to FAQs on how to comply with statutory requirements for Key Stage (KS) 1 and 2 assessments. Use our checklist of key dates and deadlines, and know what to report to your local authority and parents/carers.

Last reviewed on 2 November 2023See updates
Ref: 45608
  1. Statutory requirements: phonics screening check
  2. As a headteacher, what are my responsibilities?
  3. Administering the phonics screening check
  4. KS1 National Curriculum tests 
  5. Reporting to parents/carers

Statutory requirements: phonics screening check

Who do the requirements apply to?

  • Maintained schools
  • Academies (including free schools)
  • Special schools (including maintained special schools and special academies)
  • Alternative provision (AP) settings (including pupil referral units)
  • Independent schools that have chosen to participate in the KS1 assessments

Friday 17 November Deadline to: Decline phonics screening check materials if you have no pupils working at the standard of the check Submit school holiday dates Friday 12 January Deadline for academies to: Have a written agreement for monitoring the phonics screening check in place with a chosen local authority (LA) Notify the Standards and Testing Agency (STA) on the (Primary Assessment Gateway (PAG), if not using their geographical LA for monitoring the phonics screening check March Phonics screening test administration guidance published 20 to 24 May Schools receive phonics screening check materials 10 to 14 June Phonics screening checks carried out Monday 24 June Threshold mark published on GOV.UK Monday 1 July Deadline for headteacher's declaration form to be submitted on

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.