You are here:
Curriculum intent: audit tool (primary)
Use our audit tool to spot weaknesses in your curriculum plan for any subject at primary level.
- Find your weaknesses
- What evidence will you need?
- Download the tool
- You know your problems – now what?
Find your weaknesses
Your curriculum 'intent' is your plan of what you want pupils to know and be able to do, at different stages and by the time they leave school. Our audit tool will help you pinpoint problems in this by looking at:
- What you plan to teach – the depth, breadth, and complexity of your content choices
- Why you teach it – your rationale
- When you teach it – how you sequence units or topics, your timetable and delivery model
- Who you teach it to – how accessible your curriculum is for pupil groups, such as pupils with special educational needs (SEN) or disabilities
What evidence will you need?
To use the tool, you'll need to first gather your:
- Long-term and medium-term plans
- Curriculum maps
- Lesson plans
- Notes from conversations with subject leaders and teachers
Download the tool
You know your problems – now what?
Your RAG ratings in your audit will tell you where your weak spots are. Next, go to our curriculum resource hub for advice on how to address them.
We'll be adding articles and tools in the coming weeks to help you refine your curriculum and implement any changes. These will include advice on topics that may be at the root of your curriculum weaknesses, such as:
- How to develop your school vision
- How to sequence your curriculum to maximise pupil learning
Vicky Crane is an independent consultant and trainer with over 10 years of school improvement experience, including holding senior local authority positions. She works extensively with primary schools in the Yorkshire region, is a chair of governors for a large primary school and is the founder of ICTWand.
More from The Key
Covering topics including differentiation, assessment, SEND and growth mindset, CPD Toolkit has been created by subject experts and tested by teachers to guarantee practical, engaging training that's also excellent value for money.
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.