Grammar: learning objectives (primary)
See examples of learning objectives for grammar at Key Stage (KS)1 and KS2 from the National Curriculum, schools and a practitioner.
See examples of National Curriculum grammar objectives
See appendix 2 of the Key Stage (KS)1 and KS2 English programmes of study for the grammar content you’re required to teach pupils in each year. Note that this only shows when content should be introduced, not necessarily when it should be completely understood.
Here are some examples of the grammar topics covered by these objectives:
- Regular plural noun suffixes ('-s' or '-es')
- How words can combine to make sentences
- Joining words and clauses using 'and'
- Capital letters for names and the personal pronoun ‘I’
- Terms such as 'letter', 'singular' and 'plural'
Year 3 Forming nouns using prefixes Expressing time and place using conjunctions Inverted commas to