You are here:
Self-evaluation form (SEF): checklist and template
Use our SEF checklist and template to help you evaluate your school against the 2019 Ofsted framework. See examples of SEFs from a range of primary, secondary and special schools.
Ofsted doesn't expect your self-evaluation document to be graded or in any particular format. Any assessment you use, should be part of your usual school improvement process and not for Ofsted (see paragraph 47 of the inspection handbook).
Checklist: identify your strengths and weaknesses
Use our checklist with your senior leadership team to kick-start your evaluation process and help you write-up your self-evaluation form (SEF):
- RAG rate your school against the grade descriptors for each judgement area based on the 2019 inspection handbook
- Pick out your strengths and include these in your SEF - this is a chance for your to celebrate what you're good at
- Decide which areas for development are the most important for your school's improvement and add these into your SEF
Reaching an outstanding judgement in an area is changing
Under the new Ofsted framework, in order to reach an outstanding judgement in an area, your school will need to show evidence that it’s meeting:
- All the criteria for ‘good’ in that judgement, consistently and securely across the school
- The additional outstanding criteria for that judgement
Download our SEF template based on the 2019 Ofsted framework
Once you've completed the checklist above, use it to help you complete your SEF.
Examples of SEFs from schools
There are currently no examples of SEFs using the new Ofsted framework. We'll keep an eye out for these and share them as soon as we can. The following examples are SEFs that use the current Ofsted inspection framework.
Outstanding primary schools
Good primary schools
Outstanding secondary schools
- Pioneer House High School, Manchester
- Sir Thomas Rich's Grammar School, Gloucester
- The Cardinal Wiseman Catholic School, Ealing
Good secondary schools
- Furze Down School, Buckinghamshire an all-through outstanding special school
- Hawkswood Primary, Chingford an outstanding pupil referral unit (PRU)
Prompts to help you write your SEF
Use our tips and prompts when writing your SEF to help you evaluate your school’s provision.
More from The Key
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.