Set your own rules
There are no rules on:
- The number of lesson observations you can carry out in a year
- How long observations should last
- Who can carry out observations
- How much notice you need to give before an observation
- Whether ‘drop ins’ or learning walks should count as lesson observations
Consider what style and frequency of observations will have the best impact on your SLT and teachers' workload and wellbeing.
Create a policy and keep union protocols in mind
Set out your school’s approach to lesson observations in a policy – it could be its own observation policy, or part of your appraisal policy.
Your policy could include:
- The annual pattern of classroom observation
- A notice period for observations
- Who can observe who
- How feedback should be given
Unions have their own protocols, so bear those in mind.
Our own model appraisal policy, which we developed in consultation with NAHT A model appraisal policy from