You are here:

Last reviewed on 19 May 2021
Ref: 9353
School types: All · School phases: All

Read guidance from the Charity Commission and our education experts on using voluntary funds, and see examples of how schools use their funds, including cases where the school is registered as a charitable organisation.

Non-public funds might be called something else in your school – for example:

  • Private funds
  • School funds
  • Unofficial funds
  • Governors’ funds

For the sake of ease, we’re using ‘voluntary funds’ in this article.

First, check with your LA or ESFA

A representative from the Department for Education (DfE) told us that maintained schools should check with their local authority (LA) for guidance on spending their voluntary funds.

Academies should contact the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) for guidance if they have specific questions about how the funds should be spent.

Spending should relate to the reason the funds were raised

Spending voluntary

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.