You are here:

Last reviewed on 21 October 2021
Ref: 8721
School types: All · School phases: Secondary

Find out if you can grant study leave and what you need to consider when granting it. Plus, learn which absence codes to use, and whether study leave counts towards attendance figures.

You can grant study leave

However, it should: 

  • Not be granted by default once the exam syllabus has been taught
  • Be used sparingly
  • Only be granted to pupils in year 11 (see below for details on years 12 and 13)
  • Only be granted during public examinations 

Check your exam board's timetables to learn when you can start granting study leave.

This is set out on pages 13 and 19 of the DfE's non-statutory attendance guidance

A representative from the DfE clarified that you can only grant study leave once exams have started. 

Years 12 and 13

Pupils in years 12 and 13 can also be granted study leave. You can decide when study leave begins for these pupils.

The Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) told us this.

Decide if study leave would benefit your pupils

It's up to you to decide whether to grant study leave - it's not an entitlement. 


More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.