What to record
Record in writing
- All safeguarding concerns, discussions and decisions made (including referrals)
- The reasons for those decisions
Your designated safeguarding lead (DSL) should make sure staff understand what they need to record – where staff aren't sure, they should discuss this with the DSL or deputy.
This is explained in paragraphs 68 and 69 of Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE) 2022.
Get your local safeguarding partners involved
Contact your local safeguarding partners to ask if they have a preferred format for the record. Your 3 local partners are:
- Your local authority (LA)
- A clinical commissioning group within the LA
- A chief officer of police within the LA
Always tell your LA where there are concerns that a child is at risk of, or already suffering from, harm (see paragraph 59 of KCSIE 2022, linked above). You can use the government's online reporting tool to do this.
Keep a separate