Ofsted and other inspection
Highlights from school evaluation and improvement
Evidence and documents for inspection 2 articles
- Ofsted inspectors don't expect to see written pupil case studies. Understand how Ofsted will learn about and evaluate pupil experiences of your school, including which pupil groups and topics they're likely to focus on.
- Ofsted will ask to see a list of safeguarding referrals made to your DSL. Get expert advice on presenting this information, and see examples of forms other schools use to record referrals.
Inspection criteria 18 articles
- Ofsted will consider your attendance data when making specific judgements. Understand what evidence inspectors will want to look at, and what they want to see in 'outstanding' and 'good' schools.
- Prepare your pupils for life in modern Britain by providing 'cultural capital' that celebrates all cultures, and reflects your community and the country's diversity.
- Ofsted will consider ‘cultural capital’ when assessing your quality of education, but what does this actually mean? Read on to find out how inspectors will evaluate it in your school.
Inspection criteria: teaching and learning 2 articles
- See how Ofsted inspects SEND provision in special schools and mainstream schools with SEND provision. Find out what inspectors look for, how they gather evidence, and how they assess outcomes.
- Inspectors won't judge individual teaching assistants – they're more interested in how effectively you use them. However, your TAs might get asked about safeguarding and behaviour. Find out what Ofsted expects from TAs so you can be prepared.
Inspection processes and procedures 4 articles
- Whatever the result, save time with our template letters so you can clearly explain the outcome of your school's latest Ofsted inspection and grading to your school community.
- SBMs have an important role to play during an Ofsted inspection. Find out how you may be involved on the day, and what you can do to help your school prepare.
- When the Ofsted inspection team arrive, you need to check their identification but not their DBS information. Read our article to find out more.
Preparing for inspection 8 articles
- Follow our guide for trust leaders so that you can provide effective support to your schools after they've been inspected by Ofsted. We go through the steps you should take whether your school is judged 'outstanding' or 'inadequate'.For Trust Leaders
- Update your board regularly on what's going on in your school. If governors are up to speed, they'll feel more ready for an Ofsted inspection. Share our list of questions so they know what inspectors might ask them.
- Not sure how Ofsted will inspect your curriculum? Get answers to frequently asked questions under the 2019 framework.
Questions Ofsted might ask 2 articles
- Download our list of questions Ofsted inspectors might ask about attendance and inclusion, including questions based on your school's data.
- Get an idea of what Ofsted could ask you and your colleagues all in one place, so you feel confident talking to inspectors. Find out what they could ask headteachers and SLT, middle leaders, SENCOs, teachers, SBMs and EYFS staff.
The inspection system 8 articles
- Find out how often Ofsted inspects schools and get an idea of when your next inspection will be.
- Learn how Ofsted inspects pupil referral units (PRUs) and alternative provision (AP) academies. Also find information covering inspection of off-site units and residential provision.
- Use our side-by-side comparison of Ofsted grade descriptors, which reflect the September 2023 School Inspection Handbook updates, to understand the criteria inspectors use to make their judgements.