Ofsted and other inspection
Highlights from school evaluation and improvement
Evidence and documents for inspection 2 articles
- How Ofsted gathers evidence about pupil experience Ofsted inspectors don't expect to see written pupil case studies. Understand how Ofsted will learn about and evaluate pupil experiences of your school, including which pupil groups and topics they are likely to focus on.
- How to present safeguarding referrals to Ofsted Ofsted will ask to see a list of safeguarding referrals made to your DSL. Get expert advice on presenting this information, and see examples of forms other schools use to record referrals.
Inspection criteria 26 articles
- Attendance: what Ofsted is looking for Ofsted will consider your attendance data when making specific judgements. Understand what evidence inspectors will want to look at, and what they want to see in 'outstanding' and 'good' schools.
- 'Cultural capital': expanding narrow definitions 'Cultural capital' doesn't have to be limited to culture that's mostly white, middle-class and male. Find out how to provide your pupils with cultural capital that celebrates all cultures and values diversity, to prepare them for life in modern Britain.
- 'Cultural capital': what Ofsted is looking for It's a buzzword from the inspection framework, and Ofsted will consider it when assessing your quality of education, but what does 'cultural capital' mean? Read on to find out, and how inspectors will evaluate it in your school.
Inspection criteria: teaching and learning 2 articles
- How Ofsted inspects SEND provision See how Ofsted inspects SEND provision in special schools and mainstream schools with SEND provision. Find out what inspectors look for, how they gather evidence, and how they assess outcomes.
- Teaching assistants' role in Ofsted inspections Inspectors won't judge individual teaching assistants – they're more interested in how effectively you use them. However, your TAs might get asked about safeguarding and behaviour. Find out what Ofsted expects from TAs so you can be prepared.
Inspection processes and procedures 4 articles
- Ofsted inspection: letter to your school community about the result Whatever the result, save time with our template letters so you can clearly explain the outcome of your school's latest Ofsted inspection and grading to your school community.
- Ofsted inspection: role of the school business manager (SBM) SBMs have an important role to play during an Ofsted inspection. Find out how you may be involved on the day, and what you can do to help your school prepare.
- Ofsted inspectors: ID and DBS checks When the Ofsted inspection team arrive, you need to check their identification but not their DBS information. Read our article to find out more.
Preparing for inspection 8 articles
- How to follow up an Ofsted inspection at one of your schools Follow our guide for trust leaders so that you can provide effective support to your schools after they've been inspected by Ofsted. We go through the steps you should take whether your school is judged 'outstanding' or 'inadequate'.For Trust Leaders
- How to keep governors Ofsted-ready If you update your board regularly on what's going on in your school, governors will likely be more than ready for an Ofsted inspection. Hand out our list of questions so they know what inspectors might ask them.
- Ofsted inspection: curriculum FAQs Not sure how Ofsted will inspect your curriculum? Get answers to frequently asked questions under the 2019 framework.
Questions Ofsted might ask 7 articles
- Questions Ofsted might ask about inclusion and attendance Download our list of questions Ofsted inspectors could potentially ask about inclusion and attendance, including the impact of coronavirus on attendance. Find out what follow up questions inspectors may ask based on your school's data.
- Questions Ofsted might ask EYFS staff Share these questions with your Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) staff so they can prepare for an inspection under the 2021 framework. Each question includes suggestions of evidence they could use to support their answers.
- Questions Ofsted might ask headteachers and the SLT Download our lists of questions Ofsted inspectors might ask. You'll find questions related to COVID-19, how your school delivered remote learning, your approach to sexual harassment and how you've supported staff wellbeing
The inspection system 7 articles
- 2019 Ofsted inspection framework: what it means for your school Get to grips with the 2019 inspection framework. Find out how to assess your curriculum's 'intent, implementation and impact' with our prompts, and how inspectors will judge behaviour in your school.
- Frequency of Ofsted inspections Find out how often Ofsted inspects schools and get an idea of when your next inspection will be (including the current timings due to the pandemic).
- How Ofsted inspects alternative provision Learn how Ofsted inspects pupil referral units (PRUs) and alternative provision (AP) academies. Also find information covering inspection of off-site units and residential provision.