Thanks to our associate education experts Graeme Hornsby and David New for their help in writing this article.
Academy trusts must set financial KPIs
If you’re an academy, your trust is required to:
- Select key financial performance indicators
- Measure its performance against them regularly
- Include analysis in the annual trustees’ report
This is explained in the Academies Trust Handbook (in paragraph 2.22).
You can choose which financial KPIs to include. Some ideas are:
- Spending on particular areas as a percentage of total expenditure (e.g. on teaching staff, supply staff, premises, teaching resources and/or energy)
- In-year balance as a percentage of total income
- Revenue reserves as a percentage of total income
- Average teacher cost
Remember that everything your trust or school