You are here:

Last reviewed on 29 March 2021
Ref: 2567
School types: All · School phases: All

Teachers and support staff can receive additional payment for working extra hours, including taking part in pupils' additional learning activities. Understand the guidance and how to calculate daily and hourly rates.

Note: this article is about additional payments. Read our other article for information about teaching and learning responsibility (TLR) payments, including TLR3 payments for coronavirus catch-up tutoring.

Additional payments must be approved by your governing board

This applies to teachers employed under the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD) – meaning maintained schools and teachers in academies whose employment transferred at the point of conversion.

The relevant body – usually the governing board – can make additional payments to teachers for:

Governing boards can agree payments as they see fit, but cannot use the reasons listed above to agree additional payments for a

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.