Headteachers' Standards: summary
Read our summary of the Headteachers' Standards 2020, and download our self-assessment tool to track your progress.
Overview of the standards and how to use them
Like the 2015 version, the 2020 Headteachers' Standards are non-statutory.
The standards are divided into 2 sections (see below) and cover the full breadth of leadership responsibility within a school.
For most headteachers, all of the standards are expected to be relevant to you. You might meet these through:
- Your personal attributes and conduct
- Successful leadership and management of teams and individuals
Interpret the standards for your own individual context, and the context of your school (see more about different contexts below).
The Headteachers' Standards build on the Teachers' Standards
You're also expected to continue to meet the Teachers' Standards. The Headteachers' Standards lays out how headteachers can meet both:
- The requirements of the Teachers’ Standards, and
- The additional responsibilities of headship
You can use the Headteachers' Standards to:
- Self-reflect on whether you're meeting these standards as a headteacher: use our self-assessment tool below to get started
- Identify areas for development