Accident recording and reporting: requirements and guidance
Get to grips with the statutory requirements for recording and reporting accidents and incidents on your school site, including the additional rules for early years settings and special schools.
You must keep an accident book
This can be either a hard copy book or in electronic form (as long as you've backed up the data).
Every time an accident happens, you must record:
- Full name, address and occupation of injured person
- Date and time of accident
- Place where accident happened
- Cause and nature of injury
- Name, address and occupation of person recording the accident, if other than the injured person
You must keep the records for 3 years after the accident (but check if your insurer requires you to keep accident records for longer).
This is outlined in The Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979 (see paragraph 25.3 and schedule 4).
Who should do the recording?
Check your health and safety policy to be clear about your accident