You must keep an accident book
This can be either a hard-copy book or in electronic form (as long as you've backed up the data).
Every time an accident happens, you must record the:
- Full name, address and occupation of the injured person
- Date and time of the accident
- Place where the accident happened
- Cause and nature of the injury
- Name, address and occupation of the person recording the accident, if other than the injured person
You must keep the records for 3 years after the accident (but check if your insurer requires you to keep accident records for longer).
This is outlined in The Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979 (see paragraph 25.3 and schedule 4).
Check your health and safety policy to be clear about your accident recording procedures. Download our accident report form in appendix 2 of our health and safety model policy.
What incidents to record
Incidents that require