Accident recording and reporting: requirements and guidance

Get to grips with the statutory requirements for recording and reporting accidents and incidents on your school site, including the additional rules for early years settings and special schools.

Last reviewed on 25 July 2022
See updates
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 2692
  1. You must keep an accident book
  2. What incidents to record
  3. You must report certain incidents to the HSE
  4. Additional requirements for the EYFS 
  5. Additional requirements for special schools

You must keep an accident book

This can be either a hard copy book or in electronic form (as long as you've backed up the data).

Every time an accident happens, you must record:

  • Full name, address and occupation of injured person
  • Date and time of accident
  • Place where accident happened
  • Cause and nature of injury
  • Name, address and occupation of person recording the accident, if other than the injured person

You must keep the records for 3 years after the accident (but check if your insurer requires you to keep accident records for longer). 

This is outlined in The Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979 (see paragraph 25.3 and schedule 4).

Check your health and safety policy to be clear about your accident recording procedures. Download our accident report form in appendix 2 of our health and safety model policy.

What incidents to record

Incidents that require you to report to the Health and