Health and safety
First aid and medical care 8 articles
- Read advice on administering medication to pupils in school, including on school trips and in the early years. Download our printable sheet of 'dos and don'ts' that staff can refer to.
- Find out how you can seek permission to give non-prescription medicines to pupils, and what to do if a parent doesn't consent. Plus, download and use our multi-purpose consent form.
- Find templates for recording medication administered to all pupils and to individual pupils, and guidance on how long to store these records.
Health and safety of pupils and staff 4 articles
- Get guidance on whether keeping a pet is right for your school. Learn about keeping and handling animals, and see examples of pet policies from schools.
- Get expert advice on what to do if parents don't collect their children from school on time or fail to collect them. See examples of school policies on late or non-collection.
- Find out about your school's duty of care to pupils, when you might be held liable for an injury and how to minimise the risk of this happening.
Incident planning and response 7 articles
- Get to grips with the statutory requirements for recording and reporting accidents and incidents on your school site, including the additional rules for early years settings and special schools.
- Have a look at examples of business continuity plans, including local authority templates and plans from primary, secondary and special schools.
- Understand when you can close your school in an emergency. Find out how and when to contact your local authority and parents, and how to request an Ofsted inspection deferral due to emergency closure.
School premises: health and safety 8 articles
- Understand guidance on fire safety in schools, including fire alarms, soft furnishings and staff training, and read expert advice from the London Fire Brigade and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.
- Use our template to help you conduct a health and safety audit in your school. See examples of audit and inspection checklists from local authorities.
- Download and use our checklist to assess the health and safety arrangements in your school offices, and record any actions you need to take.
Transport and visits: health and safety 1 article