Administering medicines: parental consent

Learn how to seek permission to give non-prescription medicines to pupils, and what to do if a parent/carer doesn't consent. Plus, download and use our multi-purpose consent form.

Last reviewed on 6 March 2024
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 7567
  1. You need written consent 
  2. When to obtain consent
  3. If a parent/carer doesn't consent 
  4. Download template consent forms
  5. Brief staff on medicines management

You need written consent 

Get written consent from a parent/carer before you give a child under 16 any medication.  

This applies to all cases, except in 'exceptional circumstances' where the medicine has been prescribed without the knowledge of a parent/carer (e.g. contraceptives). In this case, encourage the pupil to involve a parent/carer while respecting their right to confidentiality.

Only administer medicine at school when it would be detrimental to a child’s health or school attendance not to do so.

This is outlined in the DfE's guidance on supporting pupils with medical conditions at school (page 20). The guidance is statutory for:

  • Maintained schools
  • Academies (including alternative provision academies)
  • Pupil referral units (PRUs)

It's also a useful reference for other settings, such as independent schools.

Read our article on administering medicines to pupils – it has a list of 'dos' and 'don'ts' that your staff can refer to.

It's up to you to decide whether

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.