You are here:

Top-up funding for pupils with high needs

Ref: 8632
Last updated on 12 September 2017
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
What is top-up funding for pupils with high needs? This article cites Department for Education guidance on what top-up funding is and how it is allocated to pupils with high needs in mainstream schools, special schools and alternative provision settings. We also answer some FAQs about the funding.

Article tools


  1. 1 The 'place plus' approach
  2. 2 Mainstream schools
  3. 3 Special schools
  4. 4 Alternative provision settings
  5. 5 Accessing top-up funding
  6. 6 Timing of payments
  7. 7 Pupils from another LA
  8. 8 Top-up funding: further questions

Article features

  • 12 external links

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.