How the pupil premium is allocated
- Pupil premium funding is allocated for the financial, rather than the academic year
- In 2023-24, for mainstream and special schools it's allocated based on the numbers of eligible pupils recorded on your roll in the October 2022 census
- For pupil referral units (PRUs) it’s allocated based on the number of eligible pupils recorded in the January 2023 census
- Maintained schools - LAs receive the money from the DfE and allocate it out to their schools
- Academies and non-maintained special schools - receive the money directly from the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA)
You're not required to spend all your allocation in the financial year for which it was provided, so you can carry some or all of it forward for future years. This is explained in section 7 of the conditions of grant.
Read more about eligibility and funding rates for 2023-24.
The pupil premium is